The Centre Can Now Hold - In The Eyes of Intellectuals
Dr. Ugwuanyi Kingsley
Lecturer in Literature And The Use of English, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
[Proofreader and Editor, The Centre Can Now Hold]
"After going through Daniel's second Novel, The Centre Can Now Hold, only one thought kept moving my heart: How I wish this material could get into many hands!I have read many literary works written by people from disciplines other than literature. I never imagined that one day I would be privileged to edit the work of someone from the engineering field, who does wonders with his pen. Chima has given humanity something too precious to ignore.
While the writ is gripping, searching, current and more of a guide, this novel touches sensitive areas that, if taken seriously, will be the dawn of greatness for homes, schools, leaders and the country at large. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone seeking something to challenge them for greater exploits."
Mr. Lawson Charles
M.Art, Literature-In-English and The Use of English, University of Ghana
[Proofreader and Editor, The Centre Can Now Hold]
Dr. Ifeanyi Maduakor
PhD in Social Ethics, Westbridge Commonwealth University
Director, Centre for Youth Moral Renewal
Contributor to Community Leadership Reform Initiatives
"The Centre Can Now Hold is a fearless confrontation of moral perversion in modern society. Beyond exposing sexual corruption, it interrogates failed leadership—both in homes and institutions. Chima does not merely condemn decadence; he dissects its roots in compromised authority, weakened parenting, and religious inconsistency. Then it goes on to proffer solutions that are just unique. This novel should be compulsory reading for every leader who still believes society can be rebuilt.”
Prof. Hadiza S. Danjuma
Professor of Comparative Religious Studies, Northlake Institute of Humanities
Chairperson, Interfaith Integrity Forum
“What struck me most is how the novel addresses religious hypocrisy alongside youthful vulnerability. It reveals how spiritual spaces, when corrupted by selfishness and silence, can become breeding grounds for moral confusion. Yet, it also offers hope — a reminder that faith, when rightly practised, can restore broken centres.”
Mr. Chukwudi Alaribe
M.Ed in Educational Leadership, Crestfield Graduate School
Principal, Royal Crest Model College
“This is not just a story about students; it is a mirror held up to administrators, teachers, parents and policymakers. The Centre Can Now Hold boldly exposes the abuse of institutional power, rot in the modern educational system, and the consequences of neglecting all of them to chance, hoping they will fix themselves with time. It challenges schools to move beyond academic excellence to moral consciousness and thorough discipline that must begin at home.”
Rev. (Dr.) Tolu Adebamowo
Doctor of Ministry, Kingdom Light Theological Seminary
Founder, Shepherd’s Watch Accountability Network
“Chima courageously addresses the uncomfortable truth that moral collapse often begins where accountability dies. From compromised clergy to silent elders, the novel reveals how leadership failure weakens the moral spine of society. Yet it does not end in despair — it points toward restoration through intentional efforts that stand on conviction and courage.”
Mrs. Zainab Idris-Kolade
M.Sc. Child Development and Family Studies, Greenford Institute of Social Research
Founder, StrongRoots Parenting Initiative
“The Centre Can Now Hold is a wake-up call to parents. It demonstrates how neglect, overindulgence, or misplaced trust can leave children exposed to predators and destructive influences. The novel speaks powerfully about intentional parenting and the urgent need to reclaim moral guidance in the home.”
Engr. Michael O. Bature
B.Eng. Systems Engineering, Metropolitan Technical University
National Coordinator, Ethical Leadership Advancement Project
“What makes this novel exceptional is its broader societal vision. It connects personal interests to leadership failure, community silence, and national backwardness. The Centre Can Now Hold argues persuasively that when homes, schools, and religious institutions lose their moral compass, the entire nation is left to grope in the abyss of darkness. It is both literature and a blueprint for genuine national reform.”
CLICK HERE NOW TO GET YOUR COPY
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A BRIEF EXCERPT
She tried everything to persuade him of that, but Obioma gently
turned down her request. He could still hear her pleading before he cut the
call. Many times later, Peace tried everything she could to know Obioma in
person. But he refused.
There was a day when she came to his department in search of
him. He was sitting on one of the street chairs waiting for the next lecture
when his phone rang. He picked the call and, lo, she was the one.
‘I am in front of your faculty building. I just want to say hi.
Can I please see you?’ she requested.
‘Where are you in front of the building?’
‘I am standing under the tree where lecturers parked their
cars.’
Obioma turned and saw the girl. She was very beautiful. Her
appearance reminded him of Nancy. They looked almost alike in body, not in
face. She was a bit taller and slightly fatter than Nancy. While she stood
there, a lot of boys passing by turned to look at her a second or a third time.
Her fairness shone brightly in the sun. Her trimmed eyes moved from her left to
her right in search of him. But Obioma shook his head with a dry smile and
decided to lie, knowing they were not too far from each other.
‘I am not close to the department; talk less of the faculty
building. Please, Peace, why not just let this thing go?’
‘No. Please, no. You don’t understand,’ she said. He saw her
lips saying those words, her eyes still searching. He was looking at her, but
she could not see him. There were many students in the faculty area. It was
like that every day.
‘Why do you insist?’ he asked.
‘Your type is hard to find. I have met many guys, but I think
none of them has your kind of heart. I don’t just need you as a friend; I want
you to be my best friend. Please, allow me to meet you, please!’
Obioma told her, ‘You see, I know the implication of what I did
for you. And I know how many people like you who are looking for me for the
same reason. I don’t want trouble. And I don’t want to be the cause of trouble
to anybody or to be a distraction to anyone. I don’t want anybody to be a
distraction or a problem to me either. That is why I try as much as I can to
limit my public exposure, especially to girls.’
He said this while walking toward the back of the Mechanical
Engineering lecture halls. He then added: ‘Let me be honest with you; I am
looking at you right now as I speak…’
‘What?’
‘Yes. You are fair, and you are wearing a black Tommy Hilfiger T-shirt and blue jeans trousers.
‘Please, now! Why not just let me see you, please!’
‘Forgive me, please. But I can’t let you see me. I am truly
sorry about that. I believe you will find the friend you need in time. I prefer a friendship that grows slowly to a spontaneous outbreak that’s triggered by
kindness. That is why most girls fall for the wrong guys. It always ends in a
stalemate, and I don’t like that. Experiences have taught me this.’




